People's Flower Gardens
The Victorian People's Flower Gardens are located between the Parkgate Street entrance, and the North Circular Road Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park. They comprise of an area of 9 hectares (22 acres) and were laid out and enclosed in 1864. The gardens were originally established in 1840 as the Promenade Grounds. They provide an opportunity to demonstrate Victorian horticulture at its best. A large ornamental lake, children's playground, picnic areas and Victorian bedding schemes are just some of the attractions. The opening hours are 8 am to dusk. Closing times vary during the year.